Small assignment: Arrangement for piano 6–12 hands
Explore playing inside a grand piano to stimulate the imagination. Create an arrangement to be played on piano with 6 to 12 hands.
Goal and output
Creating an imaginative and colourful arrangement to be played on the piano by multiple players
Arrangement for piano, multiple players
- The goal is to create an arrangement for piano 6 to 12 hands of an existing piece.
- The reference work is the version created by The Pianoguys of One Direction – 'What makes you beautiful'. Talk about the different ways that you can play a grand piano.
- Have students select a piece to arrange using various playing techniques:
• find a piece that does not have too many chords in it
• one student may play the melody on the piano keyboard
• a couple of students may play bass notes inside the piano using mallets
• a couple of students may play accompanying notes inside the piano by plucking high strings with fingers, plectrums or plastic cards
- The piano can be prepared if desired, for instance by laying a chain across the strings.
- Write down the arrangement in the form of a score.
Topics in the assignment
Detailed description of tools
A grand piano is ideal for this assignment, but it can be done using an upright piano too, although it is far more challenging to play inside an upright piano than a grand piano. You will also need mallets, material for preparing the piano (e.g. a chain) and plectrums or plastic cards for plucking or scratching the strings.
Assignment suitable for further study