Small assignment: Invent a scale of your own with 5 to 8 notes
Everyone has played scales given by the teacher. Now it is time to come up with a scale of your own!
Goal and output
Exploring the nature of scales through invention.
The purpose is to inspire students to explore the scales they play in instrument lessons.
Scale invented by the student
• Invite students to come up with a scale of their own with 5 to 8 notes. Instruction: Use tones and semitones.
• Students may work on the scale at a keyboard (wearing headphones) or using their own instrument. They may also enter it directly into notation software.
• Write down the scale on music paper, either one note at a time while inventing, or all at once when the scale is finished.
• Have the students play the scales they invented.
• If you want to have the students invent another scale, they may use thirds in addition to tones and semitones.
Topics in the assignment
Detailed description of tools
If this assignment is done in class, keyboards are recommended.
Assignment suitable for further study