Small assignment: Techno improvisation
Performing a minimalist rhythm ostinato.
Goal and output
Keeping a steady rhythm, focusing on own rhythm.
Listening to the texture as a whole.
A rhythmic improvised ostinato.
- Write the numbers 1 to 8 on the board. Have the students each pick one number without saying it out loud. They must play a note only on the beat whose number they have picked.
- Limit the material used for instance to the notes of the Dm7 chord. Start with a slow tempo and accelerate gradually.
- Initially, you should count out the beats while pointing to the numbers on the board. You can stop doing this as soon as the students get the hang of it.
- After a while, give a sign at which every student is to pick some other number on which to play.
- When the students are comfortable with performing the above, take it to the next level by telling each student to pick two numbers on which to play a note. Then proceed as above.
- As a further complication, divide the group into two and have one play on quarter notes (the numbered beats as above) and the other play on the backbeats (eighth notes) between the numbered beats.
Topics in the assignment
Assignment suitable for further study