Small assignment: Short rhythmic motif or phrase with given note values
This assignment is about teaching students the note values covered in a specific unit, after which they are asked to invent a short rhythmic motif or phrase using the note values learned.
Goal and output
Students experiment with grouping note values into rhythmic motifs or phrases as they wish, exercising their creativity.
Brief rhythmic motif or phrase
• Have students learn the note values covered in the unit.
• Ask students to add up note values (by ear) to form a brief rhythmic motif or phrase, using percussion, keyboards, own instruments, tablets or computers.
• Write the rhythms down on music paper.
• Identify the note values used and write them down.
• You may apply solfège to the notated rhythmic motif or phrase if you wish.
Topics in the assignment
Detailed description of tools
Percussion, own instrument, tablets or computers, allowing the pupil to complete the assignment by ear.
This is an example of how to use phenomenon-based learning in teaching structural awareness of music. The point with assignments like this is that immediately once a theory item has been taught, the creative aspect is introduced and students are guided to create their own application of what they have just learned.
Assignment suitable for further study